Paul T. Gibson
Adjunct Associate Professor
Department of Plant, Soil, and Agricultural Systems
Southern Illinois University
Carbondale, IL 62901 USA
Visiting Professor, Genetics and Statistics
Dnepropetrovsk Medical Institute of Folk Medicine (Ukraine)
Dnepropetrovsk State Agrarian University (Ukraine)
BS 1973 Plant & Soil Science, Texas A&M University
MS 1975 Plant Breeding, Texas A&M University
Ph.D. 1981 Plant Breeding and Cytogenetics, with a minor in Statistics, Iowa State University
My central career objectives have involved:
- Application of quantitative genetics to improvement of major crop plants (soybeans, maize, sorghum)
- Improvement of field and statistical techniques for crop experiments
- Teaching of plant breeding and statistics to undergraduate and graduate students
- Providing statistical consultations for professors and graduate students
- Development of crop production in lesser developed countries
- Contributing to personnel development in universities and research programs abroad
My most significant accomplishments were:
- Instrumental in locating QTLs for resistance for two serious soybean diseases (cyst nematode resistance and soybean sudden death syndrome).
- Co-developer of 5 soybean varieties and 3 germplasm releases, primarily focused on soybean cyst nematode and soybean sudden death syndrome resistance.
- Developer of 2 open-pollinated maize varieties that have received widespread use in Zambia and surrounding countries.
- Scientific advisor for 17 MSc students and 3 Ph.D. students, representing a total of 10 different countries
I am presently looking at the theoretical limits of mutation/selection, as well as providing technical assistance to 2 universities in Dnepropetrovsk, Ukraine.
Academic Positions Held
- 1998-present Adjunct Associate Professor, Dept. of Plant, Soil, and Agricultural Systems, Southern Illinois University
- 1998-present Professor, Plant Genetics and Statistics, Cooperative Studies, Inc., Overland Park, KS (Non-profit organization assisting higher education abroad)
- 2002-present Visiting Professor, Genetics and Statistics, Dnepropetrovsk Medical Institute of Folk Medicine, Dnepropetrovsk, Ukraine
- 2000-2002 Visiting Professor, Plant Breeding, Genetics, and Statistics, Dnepropetrovsk State Agrarian University
- 1991-1998 Associate Professor, Plant Breeding, Genetics, and Statistics, Dept. of Plant, Soil, and Agricultural Systems, Southern Illinois University
- 1996-1997 Fulbright Senior Lectureship, Ukraine
- 1982-1991 Assistant Professor, Plant Breeding, Genetics, and Statistics, Dept. of Plant, Soil, and Agricultural Systems, Southern Illinois University
- 1982-1986 Maize Breeder, USAID/Min. of Agriculture, Zambia
- 1981-1982 Visiting Assistant Professor, Univ. of Costa Rica in cooperation with Iowa State University
- 1977-1979 Doctoral Research Associate, ICRISAT, Hyderabad, India
Over 35 publications and 1 molecular genetics patent.